Thank you for your interest in the 2018 Hackathon organized by First Bank Nigeria Limited at First Bank Nigeria’s Digital Lab (“Hackathon”).
The theme of this year’s Hackathon is “Using AI & Big Data to solve problems in Banking and Financial Inclusion”.
BY REGISTERING FOR THE HACKATHON, PARTICIPATING OR ATTEMPTING TO PARTICIPATE IN THE HACKATHON AND/OR USING THE HACKATHON SITE (“Site”), YOU (“you”) ARE AGREEING TO THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS. THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ARE A LEGALLY BINDING AGREEMENT BETWEEN YOU AND FIRST BANK OF NIGERIA LIMITED (“FBN”) WITH RESPECT TO THE HACKATHON. FBN shall have the right to modify these Terms and Conditions at any time, which modification shall be effective immediately upon posting same on the Site. Accordingly, we suggest that you check this page periodically. To make your periodic review more convenient, we will post a date at the bottom of this page.
What is the Hackathon? The Hackathon involves individuals and/or small teams of individuals building creative and innovative software hacks in a specified area of your choosing in accordance with these terms and Conditions.
Dates and Times of the Hackathon. The event begins Thursday, October 11, 2018 from 9:00 AM through Friday, October 12, 2018 at 3:00 PM. However, please note that certain Hackathon activities must take place only during certain times as indicated in the schedule. The schedule is incorporated into these Terms and Conditions and can be found here (but is subject to adjustment by FBN).
Location of the Hackathon. The Hackathon will be held at First Bank Digital Labs, 2nd Floor, Law Union & Rock Building, Hughes Avenue, Alagomeji, Yaba. You must be physically present to participate in the Hackathon.
Travel, lodging and refreshments. You are responsible for your own travel and accommodation arrangements and for covering all associated costs and expenses in connection with your participation in the Hackathon. However, certain food and non-alcoholic drinks are expected to be made available during the Hackathon.
Hardware and Software. Each Participant must bring or obtain whatever hardware and/or software they believe they need to participate (e.g. laptops, phones, etc), including any necessary chargers. There will be electrical outlets available on a first come, first serve basis.
FBN will inform Participants if FBN has or obtains any equipment or devices that can be loaned to Participants for use at the event, or if FBN is aware of any specific data or other materials being made available for Participants to use at the event. Please be advised that any such data and materials could be made available solely via the Internet or other electronic means, and Participants would be responsible for having any necessary devices or Internet access if they want to access those data or materials. If the data and materials are made available through a third party website, Participants are responsible for reviewing any applicable terms for using such website and deciding if they are acceptable to Participant.
Who is eligible to participate? Each individual who participates the Hackathon (“Participant”) must:
- be an adult at least 18 years old who is legally able to enter into a contract
- be a lawful resident of the Nigeria (for clarity, lawful resident does not mean you have to be a Nigerian citizen or a permanent resident in Nigeria —e.g., being in Nigeria and participating in the Hackathon subject to an appropriate visa is acceptable)
- form a team of three (3) or up to five (5) other Participants
- has a valid bank account (winnings would be paid into a FBN bank account, one would be opened for each participant if they have none)
How to Register. To register to be a Participant in the Hackathon and obtain a ticket for the event, go to www.firstbanknigeria.com/firstbank-Innovate to fill out a registration and indicate you agree to these Terms and Conditions. You will need to provide certain information about yourself to register. Registrations are limited and are on a first come, first serve basis, and FBN has the right to end registration or limit the number of registrants at any time in its discretion.
Collection/Use of Your Information. As described in more detail below in these Terms and Conditions, FBN may ask you for additional information to confirm that you are in compliance with these Terms and Conditions and/or (if applicable) are eligible to receive prizes. Your failure to provide such information within the requested timeframe may render you ineligible. Please see our Privacy Statement for information about how we collect, use and disclose information you provide. The terms of the Privacy Statement are incorporated by reference into these Terms and Conditions.
How do I form a Team? A team can include 3-5 Participants (a “Team”). The recommended size for teams is 3-5 Participants, but the size of your Team will not be taken into consideration in the judging. You can talk to others to form Teams in advance, or you can meet others and form a Team during the Hackathon. However, you will need to inform FBN of the final list of your Team members no later than 4th of October, 2018 at 11:00 AM.
How do I become eligible to win prizes? In order to be eligible to compete for Team prizes, all members of the Team must be registered Participants. Winners would be announced at the FBN Tech Summit on the 17th of October, 2018. As described in more detail below in these Terms and Conditions, prospective winners will be required to provide any requested proof of eligibility and to sign additional paperwork in order to be formally declared winners and to claim prizes.
Determination of Winners. Winners will be judged based on the following criteria:
–direct relevance to the core problem/addressing the core problem;
— uniqueness of the recommended solution; and
–ease of implementation (e.g. feasible to implement within one year).
Prizes. The available Team prizes are subject to and incorporated into these Terms and Conditions and can be found here: www.firstbanknigeria.com/firstbank-Innovate. The prize listings may be supplemented or modified from time to time in FBN’s sole discretion.
Other rules and terms for the Hackathon.
- All Intellectual Property Rights in the solutions, information, applications, software or materials supplied by FBN for use by you during the Hackathon; including Know-how and business secrets related thereto vest exclusively in FBN and/or its licensors, notably copyright and rights of authorship, rights to inventions and derivatives thereof and any other industrial or intellectual property rights. All Intellectual Property Rights not expressly granted to you in this Agreement are fully reserved by FBN.
- Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained herein express or implied, All Intellectual Property in the application, codes, source codes, application programming interfaces, compositions, structures concepts, designs, diagrams, documentation, know-how, analysis, methods, models, procedure and process(es) developed by Participant during or in connection with the Hackathon or using resources made available at the Hackathon shall vest or on creation be assigned to and vested exclusively in FBN.
- For the avoidance of doubt every participant by accepting these terms and conditions irrevocably and unconditionally assigns to FBN or undertakes to assign immediately upon creation, all Intellectual property rights in any solution, application, code, model, design, diagram, concept or material developed by such participant during or at or in connection with the Hackathon.
- For any material developed by the participant prior to and without the any resources of FBN or any other third party at, during or in connection with the Hackathon i.e. material to which the participant possesses undisputed preexisting intellectual property rights the participant hereby grants FBN a right of first refusal to the deployment, licensing or acquisition of such application, work, material, solution, code or software and undertakes not to assign such work, material or solution, code or software to any third party on terms that are more favorable than those rejected by FBN.
- By accepting these terms you irrevocably undertake to take all steps and execute all documents required to give effect to the terms of this Agreement.
- All hacks must be created, and any code written, by eligible Participants onsite during the designated times during the event.
- There are not otherwise any specific limitations on the resources or tools that Participants can use (e.g., Public and Common SDK’s and libraries are allowed), provided the Participants have the legal right to use them for this purpose.
- Teams may not interfere with the progress of other Teams.
- You may not: use, or incorporate into the hacks any inappropriate, copyrighted or unlawful content; take any action in violation of applicable laws or regulations or the intellectual property rights of a third party; provide information or materials about another person without appropriate authority or permission; interfere with, remove or modify any terms and conditions, content or other materials posted on the Site; attempt to collect or solicit information about other Participants or third parties without their consent; or send unsolicited mail, advertisements, or other similar promotional material using the Site.
- You understand and agree that photos, videos and/or other recordings may be taken during the Hackathon. You hereby grant FBN the perpetual, irrevocable, sub-licensable, transferable right to copy, use, display and publish the photos, any videotaped, photographed, and/or recorded materials in which you appear in any online, electronic and/or print format (including but not limited any social media sites or platforms) for any educational and/or promotional purposes of FBN and/or its Hackathon vendors, contractors, content partners and/or sponsors.
- All information provided to register for the Hackathon must be true and correct. You are responsible for keeping such information up-to-date.
- If you register to be on a Team with other Participants, you understand that information about you may be provided to other Team Participants.
- FBN may use certain third party service providers (“Third Party Providers”) to support portions of the Hackathon (including but not limited to registration services). Such Third-Party Providers may include, but are not necessarily limited to, Microsoft, Mobile Monday Nigeria, Google, 2i Labs. By registering for the Hackathon through a Third Party Provider, you agree that you are responsible for reviewing the applicable terms and privacy policies of those Third Party Providers and that FBN is not responsible for your interactions with those Third Party Providers.
- At any time, in the sole and absolute discretion of FBN, FBN shall be entitled to disqualify a Participant and/or Team in the event of a failure to meet relevant eligibility criteria or any other violation or suspected violation of these Terms and Conditions.
- FBN will determine participation eligibility, declare winners (including but not limited to in the event of a tie), and award prizes in its sole and absolute discretion. You agree that such decisions are final and are not subject to review or reconsideration.
- For any cash prizes awarded to a Team involving more than one Participant, each eligible Participant shall be awarded an equal share of such prize. Prizes awarded are non-transferable, and any non-cash prizes are not exchangeable for cash. Prizes are subject to any and all additional limitations or restrictions specified on the prize page at firstbanknigeria.com/firstbank-Innovate The ability to offer and provide, and for any Participant to receive, any prize(s) are subject to applicable laws and regulations and to availability (including but not limited to any/all individual or entity donors or prospective donors having provided the relevant prizes and/or prize funding to FBN as anticipated). To the extent permitted under applicable laws and regulations, FBN may, in its discretion, arrange for certain prizes to be provided to winners directly by third party prize donors rather than by FBN.
- FBN reserves the right to verify the identity and eligibility of all Participants and Teams at any time. Without limiting the general nature of the prior sentence, prior to (and as a condition of) awarding any prizes, FBN in its sole and absolute discretion may require additional paperwork to be executed by the relevant Participants following the end of the Hackathon. Such paperwork is expected to include, among other things, an affidavit and release and will request any necessary information needed for tax reporting purposes. WITHOUT LIMITING THE GENERAL NATURE OF THE PRIOR SENTENCE, AWARDS OF PRIZES TO WINNERS ARE SUBJECT TO THE EXPRESS REQUIREMENT THAT THEY SUBMIT TO FBN ALL DOCUMENTATION REQUESTED BY IT TO PERMIT IT TO COMPLY WITH ALL APPLICABLE STATE, FEDERAL AND LOCAL TAX REPORTING. ALL PRIZES WILL BE NET OF ANY TAXES REQUIRED BY LAW TO BE WITHHELD. TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, ALL TAXES IMPOSED ON PRIZES ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF WINNERS. FBN reserves the right to declare any winners until after FBN has received and verified the signed paperwork from the prospective winners. If the prospective winners do not complete, sign and return the required paperwork within seven (7) days of request (unless FBN in its discretion agrees to a longer time) or comply with such laws, FBN may, in its sole discretion, declare that your prizes have been forfeited and/or select an alternate potential winner.
- This Site and the Hackathon are based in Nigeria and intended only for the use of those who may legally access the Site and participate in the Hackathon under relevant Nigerian laws and regulations. You agree to use this Site and participate in the Hackathon in compliance with any and all applicable laws and regulations. You may not use the Site or participate in the Hackathon for any unlawful purpose or engage in any conduct which restricts others from enjoying the Site or participating in the Hackathon. You must comply with any and all applicable rules and restrictions of physical site at which the Hackathon is held. FBN reserves the right to expel any individual from the premises or to remove the individual from the Hackathon if the individual is not authorized to participate or be present at the Hackathon, is violating any rules or restrictions of the premises where the Hackathon is being held, is violating these Terms and Conditions, and/or is otherwise disruptive or engaging in activities detrimental to the conduct of the Hackathon, all as determined by FBN in its sole discretion.
- This Site and the Hackathon are made available on an AS-IS, WHERE IS, and any and all implied warranties or duties are hereby disclaimed. FBN can discontinue the Site and/or the Hackathon, or suspend or postpone the Hackathon, at any time in its sole discretion.
- This Site may include links to third-party sites which are not under the control of FBN. FBN is not responsible for the content or operation of such sites, which may have their own terms. The inclusion a link to a third-party site does not imply endorsement by Carnegie Mellon.
- Content on the Site and linked pages includes materials of FBN and/or its content providers. FBN and its relevant content providers reserve any and all of their respective rights in such materials. You are authorized to access and use such materials solely with respect to registration for and/or participation in the Hackathon. You may not use the Site or any materials on it for any unauthorized purpose. All rights not specifically granted are reserved.
- The Site, the Hackathon, and these Terms and Conditions are governed by the laws of Nigeria. Any claims or disputes relating to the site, the Hackathon and/or these Terms and Conditions must be settled exclusively in the federal or state courts located in Nigeria.
- To the maximum extent permitted under applicable law, FBN, its directors, officers, employees, agents, representatives, vendors, contractors, content partners and sponsors (collectively, “Indemnitees”) shall not be liable for any damages, losses or claims resulting from any person’s participation (or attempted participation) in the Hackathon and/or this Site. To the maximum extent permitted under applicable law, Indemnitees are not responsible for technical problems or technical malfunction or other occurrences which may affect the operation of the Site or the Hackathon, including but not limited to: hardware or software errors; faulty computer, telephone, cable, satellite, network, electronic, wireless or Internet connectivity or other online communication problems; failure of any e-mail or website transmissions to be sent to or received; inaccessibility of any third party service being used in connection with the Site or the Hackathon (including but not limited to any third party websites or Internet service providers); traffic congestions on the Internet or the Site; and/or inaccessibility or unavailability of an email account, app or other item used or desired to be used in connection with the Hackathon or this Site). To the maximum extent permitted under applicable law, all Participants and any other individuals using this Site and/or attempting to participate in the Hackathon hereby release the Indemnitees from any and all claims, damages or liabilities arising from or relating to their participation or attempted participation in the Hackathon and/or this Site.
- To the maximum extent permitted under applicable law, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless Indemnitees from and against any and all claims, suits, actions, losses, expenses, damages, penalties, and costs, including reasonable attorneys’ fees resulting from any actual or alleged violation of these Terms and Conditions by you, use of the Site by you and/or your participation in the Hackathon.
- If any portion of this these Terms and Conditions is determined by any court or governmental agency of competent jurisdiction to violate applicable law or otherwise not to conform to requirements of law, then the rest of these Terms and Conditions will remain in effect and the parties will substitute a suitable and equitable provision for the invalid/unenforceable provision in order to carry out the original intent and purpose of the original Terms and Conditions.
- You may not assign, delegate or transfer your registration for the Hackathon and/or any of your rights or obligations under these Terms and Conditions. Any attempted assignment, delegation or transfer shall be void.
- These Terms and Conditions (which, for clarification, includes the Privacy Statement and all other terms incorporated by reference into these Terms and Conditions), together with any Hackathon registration represent your entire agreement with FBN with respect to the Hackathon. These terms cannot be modified or changed except with the written agreement of FBN.
FBN appreciates your interest in the Hackathon. We have posted this privacy statement (“Privacy Statement”) to inform you of our practices for handling data collected online by First Bank Nigeria (“FBN”) from Hackathon registrants. This Privacy Statement states FBN’s privacy practices solely with respect to information collected by it online as part of the Hackathon registration process, and it does not apply to information collected via other mechanisms and/or by other departments or areas of FBN. By registering for the Hackathon or otherwise submitting information through the Site, you are indicating your assent to the Privacy Statement described here. This Privacy Statement is incorporated into and subject to the terms of the Hackathon Terms and Conditions. Any capitalized terms that are used in this Privacy Statement but not otherwise defined in this Privacy Statement shall have the meanings given to them in the Terms and Conditions.